Why Choose COLC For Your Examination Preparation Course?
- We are a small, dynamic English school situated in one of the most beautiful coastal areas of New Zealand. Intensive English study and weekend activities offer you an ideal learning environment – hard work and good fun!
- We have an ‘English only’ rule at school that means you will quickly get used to hearing and speaking only English and so will rapidly develop your English conversation skills. Living with a host family further supports your learning as you participate in the daily lives of your hosts;
- Our teachers are highly qualified and experienced in preparing students for international exams;
- We have an excellent success record in all international examinations taken by our students.
COLC Examination Preparation Course Information
Morning Lessons: 9:00am - 12 noon - Monday - Friday
Afternoon Exam Preparation Lesson: 1:15 pm - 3:15 pm - Monday - Thursday
Course Length Options: 6 weeks, 9 weeks or 12 weeks
FCE Start Date 2018: 10 September (minimum 4 students)
FCE Start Date 2019: 09 September (minimum 4 students)
Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE)
What will FCE do for you?
FCE is administered and marked by Cambridge ESOL, a department of the University of Cambridge. Passing the FCE exam will benefit you in your future in the following ways:
- FCE is an international qualification that describes your competence in English and open doors in your professional life.
- Increasing numbers of institutions such as commercial organisations, universities and government departments officially recognise FCE as a qualification in Upper-Intermediate English.
- FCE qualifies you for entry to higher qualifications such as the Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) and Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- FCE's 'Can Do' skills give you the confidence to use English in real life situations.
Information about the FCE & CAE Exam
- The FCE and CAE exams are held 4 times a year, in March, June, August and December in several towns around NZ
- COLC students usually stay in Auckland where they spend 2 nights when they are taking the exam
- Exam fees are $335 (2017 price)
- The test includes Reading and Use of English, Writing, Listening and Speaking and you must reach an overall score of 60% in the exam to pass. Pass grades awarded are A, B and C
- COLC has FCE examination preparation courses that prepare students for the December exams
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
What will IELTS do for you?
IELTS is a proven global test. Due to its high quality controls, IELTS is accepted by thousands of organisations in over 135 countries and will open doors for your future:
- IELTS is used by educational institutions to assess language ability for courses that are delivered in English. Educational institutions in many countries rely on IELTS, including top universities in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the USA and Canada.
- Universities and tertiary institutions use the IELTS Academic module for their entry requirements. Schools, colleges and some vocational institutions use the General Training module for their entry requirements.
- A growing number of government departments and agencies are using IELTS results for immigration and student visa applications.
- Professional associations in a range of countries use IELTS to assess the English language ability of people wishing to work in their country.
Information about the IELTS Exam
- Both the IELTS Academic and General exam are held twice monthly in Auckland and in several other towns in NZ;
- IELTS Academic is for students wishing to enter University-level courses; a pass in IELTS General is necessary for immigration in NZ and Australia and for entry to Polytechnic and other technical courses.
- The test includes reading, writing, listening and speaking and candidates attain an overall level/band across the 4 papers
- Exam fees are $385 (2017 price)
- Students can apply to take the test on any of the given dates.
- COLC will arrange IELTS preparation if you require it.